Monday, September 28, 2009

Are Whigs Republican-Lite

There is a great discussion going on right now in a posting the Daily Kos about the article of the Georgia Modern Whig Party made it look like we were Republican-lite. There are some great comments and some offhanded insults, but really most were genuine in their analysis.

Unfortunately, because of space, my comments regarding my political ideologies was unfortunately cut-off. Mr. Howard provided a great, balanced article, but I think the fact that he only invited comment from the Republican county leader evidenced that I may have not made my point. I am a moderate. I believe that the solutions to a problem come from various sides of the political spectrum. We are reaching out to both Democrats and Republicans that are increasingly left behind by their parties. We believe in being socially progressive.

But, please let me be clear, I believe that ideological based solutions are incomplete and an incompetent manner in which to govern. How long do we as citizens have to suffer from dealing with politicians that pander to their extreme base by offering solutions based not on logic or data, but rather, on ideologies. The constant and incessant attempt to fit the proverbial square peg in a round hole is hurting us all.

To the leaders in Georgia, and from what I have gathered by talking to my fellow citizens in Georgia, being a moderate is not about being a middle of the road type of person. That tends to lead someone to believe that we believe in nothing, which is absolutely untrue. Rather, we believe that being a moderate is not succumbing to ideologies and putting forth rational, common sense solutions.

We believe in principles and goals, not ideologies. We believe in accountability and measurability, not ideologies. We believe in having an open mind, realizing that listening to opposing viewpoints is an opportunity to learn rather than a sign of weakness. No single one of us has all the answers, but together we do. It is this moderate thought process that gave us the Constitution.

No comments:

Post a Comment